You’ve seen the belt, the mantle, and the over robes. Now it’s time for the final piece to my masterwork. It took me a long time to settle on a design for the base robe that all the others would be worn over. I wanted it to be opulent, but not too busy. I wanted it to provide textures that simply weren’t in the rest of the outfit. So I settled on using a simple dark purple satin. It was going to be very basic, fabric wise, just that one fabric, and with opulent trim at the neck and sleeve cuffs. Then miraculously that Mirror Fabric that I ordered in december 2014 finally showed up, six months later!
It was beautiful and perfect! Now that I finally had my hands on it, I was compelled to use it. But most of it would be concealed if I used it for the majority of the base robe’s fabric. I already had a metric ass-ton of purple satin, so I came up with a design that would allow me to use primarily the satin, while implying that there is another layer of robes made out of mirrored cloth.
One of the key things I wanted to convey asside from opulence was this wizard’s origins in warm climates. I figured a big drapey sleeve that looks like it’s gathered together by broaches rather than sewn might call back to chitons and togas of ancient greece, and set about patterning it in muslin.
Instead of just gathering the sleeve tops I actually pleated them. I also scalloped the gap between the joining points, which will be sewn to eachother and hidden by the broaches.
Sadly the rest of my mid-production photos got corrupted, So I’ll have to try to explain how I pieced the robe together from shots of the finished work.
And now, my favorites shots of the complete outfit from the photo shoot: